<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://yellowsuitcasestudios.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Yellow Suitcase Studio: Suitcase Stories: From the Side of the Road

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Suitcase Stories: From the Side of the Road

I’ve gotten good where I can spot old suitcases like none other.  I rescued these babies before they went to the dump!

My husband and I went to pick up a table for my craft room that I found on Craigslist. The seller was a sweet teacher packing up and moving because of an unexpected job offer she took. She was moving to a smaller apartment so she was cleaning out. Walking up to her building, there were some things by the side of the road and I spotted a vintage green handle and latches of a suitcase. (I’m thinking really what are the chances!  I hope it’s in decent shape – poor thing put on the side of the road). We got the table and the seller helped us bring out some parts.  I told her I was going to check out the suitcase and she told me the funny story of why she had it and why it was on the side of the road. It was a little bent up. She used it for a prop for something in her classroom  and a big 8th grade boy sat on it. Yep, sat on it. 


Despite being a little bent up, it's in decent shape! 

We were planning to get our kitties soon so I had a good idea for this one. I made a padded insert to turn it into a pet bed. They slept in it some, but now it’s more of a toy box.

{Elwood after his momma’s heart.} 

This wasn’t very long after we got them- they’ve more than doubled in size now! My growing boys!

These next suitcases have to be the most interesting and oldest suitcases I’ve found.

My husband and I went to a rummage sale just down the street from us. We went to a rummage they had there about month earlier.  With the season ending it looked like they now had more of their out buildings cleared out and they lowered some prices to get rid of things.

Low and behold suitcases on the side of the road! Like 6 of them, but looking pretty shabby.  I still looked to see if there were any good ones. Good thing I looked a little harder because I found these beauties (does anyone else think this kind of stuff is beautiful?) I just saw the one at first and then got excited when I saw another one under some more of the junk. I’m pretty sure we moved a concrete block to get at it (my husband is so good to me). 


I love the latches, the airline tags that were left on and how they’re a little closer to a square shape. 


Another thing of interest – they were filled with stuff. Most of which was immediately disposed of for sanitary reasons. Judging by the contents it belonged to a very religious lady! Here are a couple pieces that took me back in time.


Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home